Spinach with Garbanzo beans aka Choley Palak has some amazing nutritional quality in it, only if it’s cooked in a healthy way. In this recipe I have used chopped spinach but you can any day puree the spinach and make it as a curry. Palak Choley is a daily meal recipe that comes from North Indian Cuisine and is typically served with Dal, Rice and Roti. This dish also works as a great stuffing ingredient for sandwiches and wraps.
Spinach is low in fat and even lower in cholesterol, it has high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. It is a wonderful source of iron, folate, chlorophyll, Vitamin E, magnesium, Vitamin A, fiber, plant protein, and Vitamin C. Due to their antioxidant abilities, Vitamins C, E, and A are especially great for your skin.Spinach contains antioxidants that fight against all types of skin. Garbanzo Beans is very low in fat and sodium, high in protein, iron, vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants, and it is gluten-free.
Serves : 2
Preparation Time : 30 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
|2 medium size bunch of Spinach fine chopped|
|1 cup Boiled Garbanzo Beans/ Chickpea/ Choley|
|1 Medium size Onion fine chopped|
|1 Green Chili chopped|
|3-4 Cloves of Garlic chopped|
|1 Tomato chopped (optional)|
|2 Dry Red Chilies|
|1/2 tsp Red chili powder|
|1 pinch Turmeric|
|1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing|
|Salt to taste|
|2 tbsp Cooking Oil|
1. Wash and pressure cook the garbanzo beans with little salt, till soft.
2. Heat oil in a wok and add dry red chilies, asafoetida and chopped garlic. Saute till garlic is golden.
3. Now add chopped onions and fry till translucent and raw smell goes off.
4. Add in the chopped spinach and mix well. Keep the flames high to reduce the water left by the spinach. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
5. Now add boiled garbanzo beans along with some red chili powder, turmeric, chopped tomatoes and season with salt.
6. Mix well to incorporate everything and close the lid. lower the flames and cook for another 5-6 mins.
7. Turn off the heat and serve the dish hot with roti or rice and dal.
If you want to make a curry, then blanch the washed spinach leaves and puree it along with some green chilies and garlic. Just the way you do it for palak paneer. Just add garbanzo beans instead of paneer.
But in that case, you shall need to add more oil and masala and that will again kill the nutrients of the dish and make it unhealthy.
Did you make this recipe?
Do let us know how this turned out for you. Leave a comment below and share a picture on Facebook with a #HealthyTasty.