Tahini is a sauce or paste made with white sesame seeds and is commonly used in the Arabian countries as a dip or dressing for salads, wraps and also sandwiches or patty. Tahini flavored Chickpea patty is made with boiled and mashed garbanzo beans with is later baked or air fried to cut off the unhealthy aspect and teamed with some homemade fresh and hot whole wheat buns to make a big fat healthy burger.
Health benefits of sesame seeds are due to its nutritional content, including vitamins, minerals, natural oils, and organic compounds which consist of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, zinc, fiber, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, protein, and tryptophan. It’s a good source of Methionine, which aids in liver detoxification. It’s one of the best sources of calcium out there.
Garbanzo Beans is very low in fat and sodium, high in protein, iron, vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants, and it is gluten-free.
Preparation Time: 45 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hour (including patty and bread baking)
FOR WHOLE WHEAT BUNS:
|3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour|
|2 1/2 tsp yeast Dry active|
|2 1/2 tbsp Sugar|
|1 tsp Salt|
|3 tbsp Milk|
|1 cup Water|
|2 1/2 tbsp Unsalted butter|
|Sesame seeds – few (optional)|
FOR CHICKPEA PATTY:
|4 cups Boiled Chickpeas|
|2 Medium size boiled potatoes|
|1 Onion finely chopped|
|2 Green chilies fine chopped|
|1 tsp Cumin powder|
|1 tsp Garam masala powder|
|2 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped|
|2-3 Mint leaves finely chopped|
|Salt to taste|
|2 tbsp Tahini Paste|
|2-3 tbsp Olive Oil (for brushing)|
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE WHEAT BUNS:
- Collect all the ingredients on your kitchen counter before you start.
- Heat water, milk, and butter together in a pan till butter melts completely.
- Allow it to cool till it gets luke warm. The temperature of it should be correct else the yeast won’t activates.
- In a large bowl add the lukewarm solution with flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Gradually add 2 beaten eggs.
- Combine all and fold it together to make a sticky and elastic dough.
- Don’t worry if it sticks to your hand, just transfer it to your dusted kitchen counter and knead it well to make a soft, elastic and supple dough.
- Dust the excess flour and shape it into a large ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover it with a plastic wrap and place the bowl in a warm place for 2 hours or till the dough rises double
- Deflate the dough and knead again for 5 mins and make 7-8 equal portions of the dough.
- Shape it into a smooth ball and place them on a lined baking tray at equal distance.
- Brush some cooking oil on top and cover the tray with a plastic wrap and allow it to rest for a second rise for 30 mins – 1 hr.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C in a baking mode for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, take the third egg and add 2 tbsp of water and beat to make an egg wash.
- Brush the egg wash on the buns and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Place the baking tray in the lower or the middle rack and bake it for 25-30 mins or till the crust turns golden.
- Take out the baking tray carefully with a mitten and cool the buns on wire rack completely.
HOW TO MAKE STIR FRIED CHICKPEA PATTY:
1. In a large mixing bowl, collect boiled chickpeas, boiled and peeled potatoes and mash them together breaking all lumps.
2. Now add chopped onions, coriander, mint, green chilies and season with salt, cumin powder, red chili powder(optional), garam masala powder and mix well.
3. Add 2 tbsp of thick tahini paste and mix well such that the flavors incorporate well.
4. Preheat your air fryer at 150 degrees C for 10-12 mins.
5. Meanwhile, make large size oval shaped discs/ patty and collect them aside.
6. Once the air fryer is ready, take out the frying tray from inside, line it with a parchment paper and place the chickpea patty (two or three at a time) as per the space provided.
7. Brush some olive oil on top and air fry for 15 mins.
8. Take out the patty, flip another way round and again air fry for 10 mins. This will make both sides nicely brown and crisp.
9. Collect the patty on a plate and set aside.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE BURGER:
1. Take a bread bun and slice it into half horizontal from the middle.
2. Place a lettuce or a cabbage leaf and spread some tahini paste on it,
3. Place the chickpea patty and top it with some sliced onions, tomatoes, a cheese slice and some tomato sauce.
4. Place the upper half of the bun and to hold it firm, pierce a toothpick in the center.
Did you make this recipe?
Do let us know how this turned out for you. Leave a comment below and share a picture on Facebook with a #HealthyTasty.