An accident can happen at any time and anywhere. For this reason, it is essential that you stay prepared in case of an emergency or accident. A first aid kit comes handy at times of emergencies, whether you are at play, work, or home. So save your money and time by having a well-stocked first aid kit for your office or home.
First aid kits can be pre-made or built by own. No matter which type of first aid kit you prefer, it must include the necessary items like medical supplies, adhesive bandages, and more and must be able to meet your basic medical requirements.
If you are finding it difficult to select a first aid kit for yourself or your family, then here read this post to know everything about first aid kits.
Pre-made or Ready-made First-Aid Kits
Most of the people prefer to buy pre-made first aid kits to save money and time as compared to buying individual supplies and assembling a kit. People also prefer buying a pre-made first aid kit to ensure that they don’t overlook any essential tool or medical supply.
So, if you too want to purchase a pre-made first aid kit, then here check some important aspects to consider:
Important Aspects to Consider While Buying a Pre-made First Aid Kit
- Size – Before you invest your money in a first aid kit make sure it is able to serve the estimated number of people. It is because if your kit is for bigger groups then it must include more number of supplies, such as pain medicines and bandages. There are only a few things that remain constant in every kit, like tweezers, splints or thermometers.
- Distance or Length of the Trip – Just like the size, even the length of the trip matters when selecting a first aid kit. If you need the kit for a longer duration then it must include more medical supplies than otherwise.
- Type of Activity – There are different types of kits available in the market. Some of them come with padding while others come with a waterproof pouch. Lighter, smaller kits are ideal for fast and light pursuits such as trail running. On the other hand, bigger, comprehensive kits are ideal for activities such as car camping.
- Look for a Comprehensive Kit – Most of the first aid kits try to sell a box of bandages and few tablets. But before you buy it just check that how many kinds of injuries it will be able to treat? Not many! Don’t get fooled by the number of components, rather search for a kit with a variety of components. It is essential that your kit is able to meet real-life emergencies in the best way.
- Ensure that All Basic Items are covered – A first aid kit must contain at least all basic things needed to treat an illness. It must include antiseptics to kill infection-causing germs, injury treatment to handle injuries like cold compresses and butterfly closures. Furthermore, the kit must include different varieties of bandages, instruments such as barrier gloves, tweezers, and basic medicines.
- Organization – First aid kits are used at the time of emergencies. If your first aid kit is not properly organized then it would not be able to serve well at the time of need. Therefore, look for a kit that has contents well organized so that you can locate them easily at the time of need.
- Quality of the Components – Do check the quality of components or products a kit offers. The bandages must be properly shaped and stick well, the medical equipment must be of good quality, and etc.
- User Manual – A first aid kit is of no use if you don’t know what to do with its components. While most of the kits do include a guide, there are some that can come without it. Make sure you select a kit with a guide and that contains latest medical advice. Also, make sure it is laid down in an easy to understand language so that you can follow it easily under a stressful situation.
- Special Needs – Finally, if you or anyone in your family or group has a special need then your first aid kit must be able to serve it well. If the kit does not have it but is still a good option then you can always add the needed medicines and medical requirements in it. Make sure that everyone else is aware of special supplies in the first aid kit.
Well, this is all about selecting the perfect pre-made first aid kit. If you still are not able to find one, then you can always build your own first aid kit.
So, check below some aspects to consider for building your own first aid kit.
How to Build Your Personal First Aid Kit?
You will first require a water-resistant pouch or bag that can hold everything. You may also require some zip-lock plastic bags or plastic pill bottles as well as a tape and waterproof marker to label things.
Below we mention some basic essential to add in your kit. In addition to these elements, you can always add things you would need personally in order to complete your kit.
- Blister treatments
- Athletic tape
- Assorted adhesive bandages
- Small Mirror
- Knife or Razor Blade
- Blunt Tip Scissors
Ointments and Medication
- Antacid tablets
- Rehydration Salts
- Antidiarrheal pills
- Antibiotic ointments
- Prescription medicines
Other Miscellaneous Items
- Tick Remover
- Bee-sting kit
- Burn Dressings
- Antiseptic wraps
- Elastic wraps and splints
It is essential to ensure that your family is always prepared for emergencies. Hence, evaluate your home or office and keep the first aid kit in a place, which is easily reachable during an emergency. Besides your office or home, it is suggested to keep first aid kit in your bike, car, boat, or other areas where probabilities of an accident are more.